My DH thought he had died and gone to heaven the first time I made this. It is divine, and a great substitute for sugar in Paleo baking, or dusting of cakes/pies/soufflés.
preparation time: 5 minutes cook time: 30 mins yields: 750g sugar
- 1L pure maple syrup (you can vary the amount)
- candy thermometer
- medium size heavy bottomed saucepan
- wooden spoon
- Pour the maple syrup into the heavy bottomed saucepan over a medium high heat
- Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon to calm the bubbling
- Boil until the temperature reaches 128°C (Hard Boil)
- Remove the pan from the heat
- Stir with the wooden spoon vigourously and continuously for about 5 minutes. The syrup will turn into sugar before your eyes. Be careful, it is extremely hot!
- Use a food processor if necessary to break up large chunks.
For powdered sugar combine 200g (1cup) maple sugar with 1 tbsp tapioca flour and blend in a high speed food processor until the sugar turns to a very fine powder.